Company: Central Ohio Technical College
Posted on: May 14, 2022
Central Ohio Technical College
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution of
higher education and two (2) years professional experience in
counseling, advising, or a related field. A master's degree in a
related field may be substituted for years of experience.
- Demonstrated experience using a personal computer, office
software such as MS Office and electronic mail.
- Requires a valid Ohio driver's license.
- Requires a successful completion of a background
- Demonstrated ability to:
o Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
o Establish and maintain effective working relationships with
faculty, staff, students and the public.
o Work in a fast-paced, demanding environment.
o Interpret degree program requirements and assist students in the
achievement of the requirements.
Thorough understanding of the curriculum, College requirements and
regulations, course sequences and degree requirements.
Experience using an enterprise-wide integrated student information
systems such as Colleague.
Summary of Duties:
Academic Advising is essential for student's academic success,
persistence and completion of an academic program. Position will
provide academic advising, including career exploration,
educational and career goal setting, program overview, course
registration, academic monitoring for student success, verification
that graduation requirements have been met and transfer
opportunities into baccalaureate programs.
- Provides information to prospective and current students about
academic programs and requirements, general admissions, and
- Guides students through the enrollment process by providing
accurate information regarding transfer admissions, re-enrollment
and registration procedures consistent with College policy and
applicable state guidelines.
- Maintains an advising caseload, facilitates mandatory advising
sessions, and conducts regular outreach to assigned advisees each
semester through email, phone calls and/or mailings.
- Processes registrations, drop/adds, withdrawals, requests for
student demographic changes and enrollment verifications.
- Acts as an advising liaison to assigned academic programs
through advisory committee meetings, division meetings and
individual meetings with program faculty.
- Works with colleagues to disseminate programmatic advising
information, supports curriculum development and offers new ideas
to ensure student needs are met.
- Coordinates and executes program information meetings; assists
in the coordination and execution of new student orientation
- Meets with, advises, and prepares individual academic plans for
all students. Conducts initial advising session and may provide
subsequent advising sessions based upon individual student
- Evaluates degree audits, transfer credits, college placement
based upon multiple measures' standards and other student
information to guide students in the selection of appropriate
courses to fulfill program requirements; meets with students to
discuss academic performance and track progress toward
- Maintains accurate and appropriate records for student advising
sessions and educational plans.
- Works with faculty and administration to interpret and ensure
academic policies and procedures, program informational material
and training material are designed to provide efficient and
effective advising services to students. Recommends solutions and
establishes best practices for academic advising.
- Conducts advisor intervention for students on academic
probation and for course repeats; reviews student files to monitor
academic progress; works with students to ensure agreed upon
interventions are completed; assists students with academic
petitions; refers students to appropriate on and off-campus
resources as needed.
- Ensures graduation applicants have met requirements for
graduation; provides guidance to students to assist in timely
completion of requirements.
- Attends scheduled meetings, workshops and training sessions as
scheduled by the department. May be required to attend meetings and
events related to the advisor's academic area of focus.
- Assists admissions by participating in college recruiting
events both on and off campus.
- Assists with front desk coverage as necessary to provide
excellent customer service to students, staff, faculty and
- These essential job functions are not to be construed as a
complete statement of all duties performed; employees will be
required to perform other job related duties as required.
Monday through Friday 8:00AM to 5:00PM.
Some additional evenings and weekends may be required.
To apply, please visit: https://jobs.cotc.edu/postings/4557
Keywords: Central Ohio Technical College, Newark , Academic Advisor, Other , Newark, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!